POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QTVR panorama freewares ? : Re: QTVR panorama freewares ? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:28:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QTVR panorama freewares ?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 27 Jun 2003 19:33:52
Message: <3efcd460@news.povray.org>

le message de news:
<mailto:3efc74eb@news.povray.org>3efc74eb@news.povray.org...
 > My english is not that good perhaps I have been missing something?

My bad, I saw it but thought it was the usual dead Apple link...
Thanks for the link, and thanks to Brian Todoroff for uploading the file in
p.b.u.

Some time later...

Well, it looks that this VRMakePano (dated 1998) can be opened but doesn't
do anything much useful after that : it cannot open and display image files,
let alone convert them. Clicking on the Make Pano Movie menu item does
nothing. No error message, nothing.

So I googled up VRMakePano and it turns out that Apple does have a more
recent VRMakePano file (dated 2000) available. It's just absent from the
list of their free VR utilities but can be found in the developer's section
here:
http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sample_Code/QuickTime/QuickTime_VR/vrm
akepano.htm

Now the situation is different: it opens (File Open) and displays my test
POV-Ray image panorama in bmp format but it's useless, as the Make Pano
Movie menu opens again the Open File dialog box. In one of the weirdest
interface behaviour ever (I can't believe this is really coming from
Apple...) I have to pick up the file in the first Open File dialog box,
cancel a *** second *** Open File dialog box and then I'm asked to save a
*.til file (???) and then finally a *.mov file. Victory ??? Not quite...
I've tested this on a NT machine and on a XP machine and while I can see
that the conversion is working (a window opens showing the panorama content,
flickers briefly and closes), the resulting file simply disappears (I did a
full search on the HD to be sure). Only on a W2000 box I was able to see the
QTVR file... This is just bizarre.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com